One of the wonderful memories I have of Mom’s Kitchen, is the two of us sharing recipes and stories of the history of each recipe. We would sit and go through her old cookbooks to find secrets. Some recipes she would type out on cards, some she would just write out in pencil. This one goes back to my grandmother and the depression when meat and butter was in short supply.
Roast Beef hash
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 medium cooked potatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup but
- 2 cups of cooked left over roast beef, cubed
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup light cream
- 1/3 cup beef broth or consomme
- Mince onion and cube potatoes. Melt butter in a medium skillet, cook onion until golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, combine potatoes and remaining ingredients. Stir in browned onions. Return to skillet and simmer until liquid is reduced to the desired amount.
- Serve with green salad.