During this pandemic downtime, I pulled out a few of Mom’s cook books. She loved to bake cookies for us kids. Needless to say she raised three cookie monsters. Between her and the grandparents,there were always cookies in the cookie jar.
One of our all time favorite cookies was the Oatmeal Applesauce. It’s time to start baking again.
Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup currants, raisins, or dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Make sure one of your oven racks is placed in the center or your oven. Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until it is creamy.
- Add the sugars and beat until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to make sure everything is well blended.
- Add the applesauce, eggs, and vanilla extract and continue to beat until the batter is smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl again as necessary.
- Stir in the flour mixture with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula just until it is incorporated.
- Stir in the oats, dried fruit, and nuts.
- Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls or with a cookie scoop onto your parchment lined baking sheets about 3 inches apart.
- Bake until the cookies are golden around the edges but still soft on top, about 15 to 17 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring them with a spatula to a wire rack to cool completely
This recipe yields about 4 dozen Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies.