Mom fell in love with these yummy little cookies. She would ask for them at Christmas as well as at Easter. Easy to make, but you do need a cookie press to make them. Also, I would add a little food coloring to match the holiday to make them a little more festive. For Easter they were yellow flowers with red cinnamon centers.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 3-oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tbsp freshly grated lemon peel
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- With a electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese thoroughly.
- Add sugar gradually, continuing to beat until light and fully.
- Add egg yolk, lemon extract, and peel; beat well.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cups; level off; blend flour and salt together. Add in 3 batches, mixing well after each batch. Add a few drops of yellow food coloring and mix well.
- Assemble cookie press; fill with cookie dough. Press onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Use instructions of cookie press. Fill pressed cookie flower with a red cinnamon candy bit.
- Bake 14-17 minutes at 350 degrees or until just starting to turn light golden around edges. Do not over bake!
Makes about 5 or 6 dozen cookies.