It is time to switch up how we eat. During this time of pandemic, it is important to stay healthy. To that end we are taking the good grandma’s old fashion wholesome recipes and updating them.
One thing I remember from my grandma and Great I grandma was that every thing was grown local and made from scratch. No box meals or processed meals!
What To Avoid
- Eliminate refined sugars, high fructose corn syrup, and artificial sweeteners such as aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal) and sucralose (Splenda). All contribute significantly to serious health problems.
- Salt: Limit sodium to less than 2,300 mg per day – equivalent to about one teaspoon of salt. Check food labels; you’ll be amazed how much sodium is added to processed foods. Substitute regular table salt for something healthier, like sea salt or Himalayan salt.
- Coffee and sodas – non-foods that have many destructive physiological consequences which cause several illnesses and chronic disease.
- Trans fats (hydrogenated vegetable oils)
- Don’t microwave food or beverages. Use a toaster oven, double boiler, tea kettle, or other appliance to heat or cook food.
- Food additives: artificial colors and flavors, preservatives, MSG
- Genetically modified (GMO) foods: Unfortunately, it’s not required that the consumer be notified about the presence of GMO foods. Most canola and soy is GMO, so never buy non-organic canola oil or non-organic soy products like soy milk, tofu, or soy protein powder.