Have an easy romantic dinner at home with Spaghetti Carbonara For Two with bacon and cheese. Serve it with sparkling wine and dessert for a stay-in date night!
With Valentine’s Day coming up, I’m guessing you’re here looking for a menu with recipes to make for your other half. Or maybe you’re single and want to treat yourself because wallowing all day with a lonely storm cloud is no fun.
Pasta Carbonara is a spaghetti dish with bacon and a creamy sauce made from eggs and cheese. I think of it as romantic because spaghetti is often associated with that famous kiss scene from “The Lady and The Tramp“. Plus it’s rich and full of bacon, so it’s not a meal you (should) eat often. Serve it with An Arugula salad and a glass of prosecco wine, and you’re well on your way to date night at home. For dessert, go simple! A scoop or two of chocolate gelato and an almond cookie.
Menu: Arugula and Fava Bean Salad
Chocolate Gelato and Almond Cookie
Prosecco or sparkling wine
- 4 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 slices uncooked bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Ground black pepper and fresh chopped parsley, for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add a big pinch of salt then add spaghetti. Cook as directed on the package until al dente, about 8-10 minutes. Reserve 2 tablespoons pasta water then drain into colander.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Once hot, add the bacon and onion. Cook the bacon until crispy and onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and add the hot, cooked spaghetti. Stir until the noodles are coated.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, cheese, and reserved pasta water. Make a well in the middle of the spaghetti and add the egg mixture, mixing quickly until the egg is cooked. Keep stirring to avoid scrambling the egg. Serve with black pepper and parsley on top.
Fava bean, Arugula, and Pecorino salad
- 1/2 lbs Fava beans, shelled
- 2 cups Arugula leaves
- Wedge of pecorino Romano cheese
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
1. Bring a small saucepan 3/4 full of water to a boil. Add Fava beans, blanch for a minute. Drain and cool under cold running water. With a small knife, slit bean skins and gently pinch to free bean.
2. In large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add Arugula and Fava beans, toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings.
3. Divide among 2 salad plates or bowls. Using g vegetable peeler or cheese slicer, shave thin curls of the cheese over the salads and serve.