St Patrick Irish Cheddar Soup
As March rolls in, everyone is getting ready for their St. Patrick’s Day festivities. When everyone across the country celebrates their Irish heritage. Four leaf clovers and the color green can be found everywhere you look. Keeping to the Irish theme, why not celebrate the day with an authentic meal of Irish Cheddar Soup with asparagus and smoked salmon with tarragon cream. Something delicious for everyone to taste.
- 2 leeks
- 6 small potatoes, cubed
- 6 thin carrots
- 4 tbsp Kerrygold butter
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 oz grated Kerrygold Irish Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a stock pot. Add vegetables and saute for several minutes. Then add broth, garlic, and seasoning. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender and flavors merged, about 30 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and puree.
- Add milk and cheese and continue stirring until cheese has melted. The soup should still be plenty hot enough to do so, but return to heat if necessary. Taking care not to allow it to return to a boil. Serve hot with a heart crusty bread.
Asparagus and Smoked Salmon with Tarragon Cream
For the Tarragon Cream dressing:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp minced fresh tarragon
- 1 1/2 thin asparagus, trimmed
- 1/3 lb smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- fresh tarragon sprigs for garnish
- bed of spinach leaves
- To make the tarragon cream, put the cream in a small bowl, didn’t whisk in cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon lemon juice karma 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, and tarragon. Set aside, the cream will curdle and thick and within 4-5 minutes.
- Arrange the asparagus In a steamer basket and place over boiling water. Cover and steam until just tender to the bike, 3-4 minutes. Transfer the asparagus to a calendar and immediately place under cold 1 running water to stop the cooking process. Slice of spears on the diagonal about 1⁄2″ thick, leaving some hole if desire and set aside.
- Arrange the salmon On a bed of spinach leaves. Drizzle evenly with the 1 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice. Top with asparagus garnish with tarragon sprigs and serve with tarragon cream.