Carrot Ginger soup is a vegan dish that is full of flavor. Using fresh ginger gives it a little more. It’s light but great for your taste buds. Don’t worry about wasting any of it either; You can freeze it and pull it out whenever you’re in the mood for it. The perfect salad to accompany this delicious soup is an Asian Chicken salad. So many different tastes all combined together!
Carrot Ginger Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Additional lemon zest, optional
In a Dutch oven or stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and stir until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; Cook 1 minute longer. Stir in carrots, broth, zest, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 10-12 minutes. Pulse mixture in a blender to desired consistency. Stir in lemon juice. If desired, garnish with lemon zest.
Asian Chicken Salad
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 2-3 cups shredded lettuce or slaw
- ½ cup whole almonds, chopped
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups cooked, shelled, edamame
- Toasted sesame seeds, optional
- 2 chicken breasts
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-piece minced ginger, about 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons 5 spice seasoning
- 2 cups chow mien noodles
Toss all salad ingredients- green onions, lettuce or slaw, almonds, carrots, cilantro, edamame, and sesame seeds.
Whisk together the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sugar, and seasoning. Marinate the chicken in the sauce for 1 hour. Bake chicken in sauce at 400 degrees, for about 20-30 minutes, turning occasionally, until cooked through. When chicken is cooled, shred and add to salad. Toss with dressing and chow mien noodles just before serving.
Sesame Ginger Dressing
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or to taste
- 2 tablespoons water.
Whisk all ingredients together in bowl. Pour onto salad and toss. Add the chow mien noodles and dig in!