During the warm summer months, you will want a chilled soup for your meal of choice. Don’t turn your heads at it. As shown, there are several delicious ways to make a cold soup. So for this month enjoy a Chilled Lemon Basil Avocado Soup with a Greek Quinoa Salad.
Chilled Lemon Basil Avocado Soup
- 2 ripe avocados roughly chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon basil
- 2 teaspoons shallots
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
Add all ingredients to a blender and puree until very smooth. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to le the flavors blend. Taste and add more salt and/or another squeeze of lemon juice. Wait until the soup is set before tasting and adding anything.
Greek Quinoa Salad
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- ¾ cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (15 ounces) chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers
- 1 cup English cucumber, peeled and diced
- ½ cup crumbled feta
Lemony Greek Dressing
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- First rinse and drain your quinoa using a mesh strainer. Bring small pot to medium heat and lightly toast the quinoa to remove excess water, stirring often. This helps give the quinoa its nutty taste. Next add your water, set burner to high and bring to boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered with lid slightly ajar, for 12-13 minutes or until quinoa is fluffy.
- Once your quinoa is ready, fluff with fork and season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to medium bowl to cool.
- While the quinoa cooks, chop all your veggies and make the dressing.
- To make the salad dressing, whisk together all the ingredients in a small bowl or add to a mason jar with a tight lid and shake.
- Combine cooled quinoa with chopped veggies and dressing. Mix well, top with crumbled feta.